Tuesday 10 April 2012

we need to talk about...

I'm probably behind the times, but I spent the Easter weekend finally reading Lionel Shriver's novel We Need to Talk About Kevin. Then, the day I finished the book I went out and hired the DVD and watched the movie starring Tilda Swinton, as I needed more... 


On finishing the book, I did wonder how they would condense it into a film, pondering on how they'd script it... I knew it'd be a challenge, but I was expecting something special.


So... My review? Predictably I loved the book, but the movie was, aghh, so disappointing! Tilda of course is fabulous and perfect in every way. But the rest of the film felt rushed and just didn't even scratch the surface of the intense relationships between the four main characters. The sets, such as their New York loft and the cold, vast contemporary house didn't match what I'd imagined, and they just skipped so much of the story, that the film was empty and Eva came across as a weak void.  It wasn't any where near slick enough. It was watery and vague.  Whereas the book was so strong and compelling and rich and sad. An emotional rollercoaster left me questioning my own relationships and how I would cope in Eva's situation.  And the ending, it was perfect.   


I could talk for hours over this story, it definitely promotes discussion. But I don't want to say to much more about the story as it will ruin it for those yet to read the book. 

What I will say, is how much I identified with Eva, Kevin's mother, a lot. Her carefree, passionate life rich in adventure and experience, prior to children. Her love for her husband and their urban, professional life. Her grief for their past life together once Kevin is born, and how she struggles when motherhood does not come naturally. 


If you haven't read We Need to Talk About Kevin I wholeheartedly recommend that you do, just don't bother with the film. 


I'd love to hear your thoughts...


Not blown away by the movie adaptation. Although Tilda can do no wrong.

2 comments:

  1. i wonder if I will love the movie - seeing that we usually always differ - but i knew you would love the book. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - watch it then we need to review over some red wine one night!

    ReplyDelete