Wednesday 10 October 2012

today I am wearing (and designer babies..)

Did anyone watch Insight on SBS last night?  It was a really thought provoking episode called Designing Babies. Asking the question, "Is there anything wrong with choosing your baby's health, sex, personality, even intelligence?"

All about embryo genetic testing.  It's such a grey issue, so it was an interesting debate. In the future, only poor people will have sex to create a baby. Apparently IVF will be a far superior and more effective form of conception.

I am totally for testing for disease and defects, before or during pregnancy. I know I personally could not have knowingly brought up a disabled child. I am pro-choice.  All parents to be should be able to make an informed choice. Everyone wants a healthy child right?

On the flip side, I am not in favour of sex selection. I just think it mucks up the natural order. Call me old fashioned, but a child is a child, not an accessory that you can pick, and diversity is important. 

Then it went on to discuss the future.  That's when it got really scary and my opinions became muddled...  

A case of science fiction becoming reality...? I was reminded of (one of my favourite films, starring Jude Law, Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke) Gattica.  A story set in the not-too-distant future, where genetic engineering of humans is common and DNA plays the primary role in determining social class.  A world where a society discriminates against your genes, instead of your gender, race or religion. A rich high society of genetically engineered people and an underclass 'naturally bred' poor. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you do.  It's a slick, stylish film.

Should we play 'God'?  Should we eradicate the criminal gene, for example?  Should we be able to select an 'intellient' child?  It's a toughie.  I found myself saying yes and no.

Ethan Hawke looking rather dishy in the brilliant Gattica















You can find out more about the programme here.

Anyway back to the real reason for today's post...!  I haven't worn this stripey dress for a while, so I thought I'd give it an airing, along with my patent plum Zoe Whitner stilettos. Where did I buy the dress?  I can't remember.  I cut the itchy label off. 

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment